A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Friday, March 15, 2013

My Bowie

Stephin Merritt wrote this really touching article about David Bowie for Out Magazine.  All of the topics involved (Stephin Merritt, David Bowie, gender politics, fun) are extremely important to me, so I recommend the article on a lot of counts.  Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting and timely article, even if he does conflate gender with sex towards the end. I loved the early image of TMF, when Ilsa Jule was essentially the face of the band in music videos. It was a mild shock when I realized this was NOT the singer of the band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Ilsa Jule's presence in the band as well!! What a beautiful person!

    And I think Mr. Merritt's analysis of gender is pretty spot-on throughout; I've never grappled with heterosexuality, but Bowie certainly helped me feel more comfortable about being in the center of the gender spectrum as a youth for sure. I feel like he is an important figure on all sides, at least.

    ReplyDelete