A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Under-heard Stephin Merritt Covers

Lately I've been listening to a lot of covers of Magnetic Fields songs.  I'm assuming we're all familiar with the Peter Gabriel and Ben Gibbard and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and The Arcade Fire songs and the Verfrumdungseffekt comp, and while I certainly agree that all of those songs are wonderful renditions of the originals, I feel like there are so many cover versions that go unheard.  So, I figured I'd take the time here to point out some covers that I love with which you, my gentle readers, might be unfamiliar.

1. The Fields of Magnetic - Give Me Back My Dreams

I am well-known for touting the original version of this song as amongst my favorite songs by Mr. Merritt, so I am obviously protective of it.  What's strange about this cover is that it mostly disregards the original.  The raging cello offers a sense of urgency throughout the entire song that directly juxtaposes with The 6ths' more somber version.  The vocals, while definitely following the same melody, are far more angry as well, bringing wholly different associations to the song.  Plus, the singer's accent is ridiculously charming (can we talk about the way he pronounces "just" for a couple hours?).  There is a cover of "Asleep and Dreaming" on the same page, and it's also good, but for me, The 6ths song will always be the winner.

2. Zoe Woodbury-High - No One Will Ever Love You

The vocals on this version might be slightly too twee for some folk, particularly when coupled with the ukulele, but goddamn it if those harmonies and that harp don't just do it for me.  The usage of a harp on this song is about as inspired a choice as I can imagine and, like the previous cover, turns this song into something else entirely.  It is a gentler version that still packs the punch it is supposed to pack.

3. Matt Gurley - Lonely Days

Firstly, this is such an inspired song choice!  I have heard only scant few covers of Future Bible Heroes songs and it's refreshing that this is a good one that is also well-done (meaning it's not just some schlub with a webcam and a ukulele).  I appreciate the vocal effects very much and think this functions as an excellent stripped-down showcasing of this wonderful song.

4. Portastatic - You Love to Fail

Perhaps the most popular of all the songs I'll post today, I just can't resist sharing it some more.  This may very well be my favorite cover of a Magnetic Fields song ever.  There are a myriad strange background doo-dad noises that find the perfect balance of highlighting the song's melody and adding interesting layers of their own.  Plus, Mac's voice is just so pretty here!

5. Sarah Elizabeth - I Shatter

By far the most underproduced song I'll post today, this song still functions as a really pretty version of an already beautiful song.  "I Shatter" has long been my favorite of any of the 69 Love Songs and covers of it are, sadly, scarce.  Luckily, I like this one a whole lot.  I think this girl's chord choices are very interesting and she manages to maintain the original's manic nature without ever competing with Sam Davol's excellent cello work.  I also quite enjoy the vocal lilting she does at the end, which is entirely her own addition to the song.

6. Br'er - Irma

I'm 100% sure I posted about this song when it initially was released, but goddamn it, it deserves to be discussed some more because it's really, really good.  The instrumentation is entirely different than the stripped-down, chamber-poppy production of the original and is far more experimental.  Yet, the most charming aspect of "Irma," has and always will be its melody, and Br'er recognizes this fact by keeping it entirely intact.

I'd love to hear some more interesting covers of Stephin Merritt songs, so feel free to send me some if you know of any.

6 comments:

  1. 2 of my favourite spanish bands, friends of Claudia and Stephin, and supporters on their tours in Spain from 1998 to today: Astrud and Hidrogenesse. Manolo from Astrud was about to record For we are the king of the boudoir for the second 6ths album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qckrZmrI8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZef0a97co

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I'd never heard either of those and now I love 'em both! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Other commenters, take note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. is AWESOME. Oh my - I want to play it on loop for the rest of the night. LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVEL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know, right? I wish I knew more about its origins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's not forget the fabulous "Get Lost" covers by the Divine Comedy!

    Famous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1njFrnJNw
    With Whom to Dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0CK7HbNKf4
    Love Is Lighter Than Air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS5Z_XUIkps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Anonymous, and the "Dead Only Quickly" cover that predates The 6ths track by a couple years. http://youtu.be/IO-d8hJmKyE

    ReplyDelete