A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

An Assortment of News + Brief Musings



Above is a video of Stephin Merritt playing the Beck song "Old Shanghai" about which I talked in the previous post.  Seeing the video is a really enjoyable experience for me; it reminds me of the Strange Powers documentary, and how meaningful the scenes where Stephin and Claudia recorded i were to me.  Seeing the music get made feels like a rare privilege.  So, yeah, watch the video.

You can learn about Mr. Merritt's toilet paper affinities here.

I've been listening to Holiday a lot lately, and of course it's no news that it's a remarkable album.  But any time I spend away from it seems to make me forget exactly how remarkable it really is.  Every sound on the album is so curious to me, I'm unsure of 99% of their origins and yet it never feels inaccessible.  The synthlines are as hooky and catchy as any Mr. Merritt has ever written and the lyrics as melancholy and interesting; it's a shame that this album isn't more heavily lauded as one of the best of the 90's.  All bias aside, I think it's extraordinary.  Someone should write one of those 33 1/3 books about it.  Ahem.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks, Y-Mike! Figured it was time for some revamping. I'm in the market for a new banner as well, but I'd be sad to leave the current image behind too.

    ReplyDelete