A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Setlists, interviews and the like

A set list from last night's Magnetic Fields show at Union Transfer in Philadelphia has been posted here.  Obviously, if you're seeing the band and want to be surprised then avoid that link like it's the plague, but suffice it to say that there are loads of very exciting gems on there.

Carletta Sue Kay, a San Francisco-based musician who supplies a ton of backing vocals on Love at the Bottom of the Sea, is interviewed about the process of working with Mr. Merritt here.  It's a really great interview and I recommend highly you seek further information on Carletta Sue Kay, who is all kinds of brilliant.  Might I recommend her Facebook page?

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't post this horrendously awkward interview with Stephin Merritt, on whose awkwardness Mr. Merritt is hardly to blame.  It becomes difficult to read at a certain point, and I kind of think Mr. Merritt was kind to even finish the interview - I remember a time when the interviewer would have been more or less eviscerated rather than ignored.

Don't forget to go see Stephin Merritt and Emma Straub at Upstairs on the Square!  Tonight!  Kind of right now-ish!  Get over there!  And then go to the tour blog!  DO IT!

2 comments:

  1. Now that is an exciting link. She sounds great. Oh Michael I'm so not ready to leave at the crack of dawn for this ATP. Right now I feel hellish but I'm guessing I'll feel better tomorrow. I have no problem reading set-lists and knowing what to expect. I can't do the ignore-it thing. That would just irritate me further.
    I hope to post a few photos from the next couple days. Joanna Newsom plays on 2 consecutive days. TMF only play an hour which is sort of supsetting.
    Anyway, have to rush.
    Brian x

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past, I've always tried not to look at set lists and I've ALWAYS failed and cracked. So, this year I just ditched all pretense and couldn't wait long enough to get my grubby little hands on one.

    Even if you feel ill, you're bound to feel better the second you arrive to ATP. You're going to have so much fun, and I expect to see a bounty of pictures upon you're arrival back home, sir. And you're seeing the band in Dublin as well, right? So, you'll eventually get to see a full set, at least.

    ReplyDelete