A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

LatBotS - Behind the Scenes

Sonic Scoop has posted this fascinating article about the making of Love at the Bottom of the Sea.  The piece mostly functions as an interview with engineer and frequent Merritt-collaborator Charles Newman, who divulges a wealth of information about his and Mr. Merritt's working process.  He also mentions the sheerly massive amount of synthesizers used on the record, which is of course amongst the article's most titillating tidbits.  Even detaching myself from my excitement over the release of the album, though, this article is really good and comes highly recommended.

7 comments:

  1. Nicely put MPW. Ye Gods I'm so excited about LatBotS. I need to play the hell out of it. Fingers and toes crossed that the divine egg-shell coloured vinyl be mine. Be mine! Be mine!
    Looking forward to your blog taking off once the album is go and tour is go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep bragging about this, but it's hard not to do so: I preordered my copy from Merge before they made the announcement on their site or anywhere else for that matter so I'm 99% sure I'mma get my hands on this eggshell vinyl. If not, it'll just be added to the list of SM records for which I've paid exorbitant prices on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could just pick up one of the 200 copies they'll have on tour yeah
    Pretty sure I might get it but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know they'd have 'em on the tour!! I'll likely pick up a spare there as well. Mr. Coffey, if you do not, in fact, receive one of them, I'll for sure pick one up for you and send it your way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 6ths song in a french commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPQxXARMqM

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a spanish album in which LD an Stephin collaborated: http://remate-diary.blogspot.com/2008/07/superluv-info.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a ton for the links, franboy. I'd never seen that commercial before. I hope Mr. Merritt got a hefty sum of cash from that.

    ReplyDelete