A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

New Magnetic Fields Record!!!


The new Magnetic Fields record will be released on March 6 via Merge Records and will be entitled Love At the Bottom of the Sea.

According to a press release from Merge Records, this record will be synth-heavy in stark contrast of the completed-with-Realism no-synth trilogy.  Intones Mr. Merritt: "Most of the synthesizers on the record didn't exist when we were last using synthesizers."  Preorders are available at the aforelinked press release.

As more details of the record are announced (and possibly those of an ensuing tour), I hope you know by now where to go for consistent updates.  How excited is this little blogger right now?!

UPDATE: The House of Tomorrow has posted a tracklisting for the record.  Most excitingly, perhaps, is the Oprah-inspired "My Husband's Pied a Terre," though all the titles sound fabulous and make me want the record more than I can say.  It's becoming very difficult to not become editorial at this point.

UPDATE: 2012 tour dates have been announced.  Pre-sale tickets are available here.  The pre-sale ends 12/15/2011.  Pre-sale is officially over!  For a full list of the band's extensive tour dates, check out the House of Tomorrow Calendar.  I'll be at both Chicago shows, and the Iowa show.  If you see a sweatervested boy shaking with glee near the front, come say hi!

UPDATE: Aggggggh, I'm freaking out!

12 comments:

  1. Great news. Man I hope I can make it to the Iowa City show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, have you still yet to see them? If not, then it is imperative you do whatever it takes to make it to that Iowa City show. If you have, it's still imperative to do so, but you catch my drift.

    I'll be hitting up both Chicago shows; my usual road trip appears to be out of budget, which is unfortunate, but I'm grateful for two shows in my city at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them perform yet. I'll totally be going if I can convince my parents to let me play hooky, which I don't think will be a problem during that time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worst comes to worst, you could always emancipate them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my spring break is happening when they're performing in New York and Boston, but would it really be worth it to- wait I'm not going to finish typing that sentence we both know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. That cover.


    Now for the insufferable 3 months before it comes out. I do look forward to your frequent updates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Nick. Whenever this blog is slow, I always start to feel slightly guilty, y'know. I'm itching for daily interviews and whatnot like in the pre-Realism days.

    And, yes, I'm already getting impatient about March fucking 6th. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, everyone's going to the Iowa City show, me included! I can't get over the fact that they're coming here of all places!! Last time I saw them I could just barely afford to travel to Chicago and see them, and suddenly they are coming to my town. Eeeee!

    Anyway, the newsletter had this tantalizing detail:
    There will be a limited-edition eggshell-colored vinyl available exclusively to those who pre-order the album at the Merge Records Store. The first 100 people who order the album from Merge will receive a free signed poster and a Magnetic Fields button.

    I preordered my lp, but goddamn, I wish I knew whether I'm one of the first 100 or not. HOW WILL I SURVIVE??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, last tour they played Bloomington, IN as well. They seem to always throw at least one curveball city into the mix. I'm excited about the Iowa show for sure, though! Wish there were some more midwestern dates to which I could roadtrip!!

    I actually was able to preorder my LP before Merge officially announced the record, so I'm pretty sure I'll be amongst the first 100, but I understand the anxiety! If you contact Merge, they may be able to help you out and let you know, they generally have really awesome customer service. They have a customer service phone number as well, which generally helps expedite the whole process of getting answers and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot-woot! Iowa REPRESENT!
    Got that outta my system. Didn't know there were any other TMF fans in Iowa. :)
    My old band, She Swings, She Sways were pretty influenced by them.
    John Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, to be fair, Mr. Gordon, everyone here is traveling to Iowa. But the very fact that they are doing a show in your fine state is pride-inspiring enough!!

    ReplyDelete