A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Want to Be Stephin Merritt's Boyfriend



The title of this post may seem like an overdue confession from your loyal author, but it is instead the title of the song in the above video.  It is by an artist called The Waifs of the Wharf, and has oddly mysterious backgrounds (inasmuch as I don't know anything more than what I've said here).  It's a cute, jaunty, ukulele-driven ode to Mr. Stephin Merritt and comes highly recommended.

Also, a bit of trivia: the footage to which the song is set is the 1907 film Le Cochon Danseur, which Mr. Merritt has acknowleged as a great film for which he would gladly write a score if given the opportunity.

The Magnetic Fields have also officially started recording their next album in the historic (for fans of the band, at least) Mother West Studios.  I expect much rejoicing!

11 comments:

  1. That song's surprisingly well done.
    And that pig gets terrifying at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am also a HUGE fan of The Magnetic Fields. In fact Dudley Klute was my boyfriend for awhile back in the 80's.
    Your blog is FANtastic dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat surprisingly, the song is excellent. Time to go on my characteristic two=hour search for more information and more songs by that band.

    Did I hear that right? The Magnetic Fields are now recording their new album? And it's gonna be out on Merge? Excuse me but... holy shit!!! I just can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I messaged the guy who uploaded the video on Youtube. Here's some info about the band: "Yes, essentially, The Waifs of the Wharf is just me. When I play out around Seattle, others join in. I'm always up for playing with new people. If you're a musician, I'll be happy to send you chord charts. I just finished mixing a new song this morning called "Love is a Joke." I have a fun video in mind that involves about 30 lbs. of candy hearts. Look for it in the next couple weeks."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone knows where I can read Stephin's Chickfactor reviews? Specifically his Tom Waits review. I thought I remembered finding a place on the internet a year or two ago where they were all available but I can't find a trace of it now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://newyork.timeout.com/music-nightlife/music/353557/stephin-merritts-tony-archive

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://soundcloud.com/popcandy/pop-candy-podcast-aug-10-2011

    The Sun and The Sea and the Sky at 14:45!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah?? *hurries excitedly off*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmygod, thanks so much, Nick! It's a super beautiful song.

    Will update the blog as soon as I get home. Oh, man, this song is good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to keep posting but there's a good interview with Stephin here --> http://www.cowbellmagazine.com/home/2011/8/1/dour-dusty.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, shit, Mr. David, I'm only just now seeing this! Sorry for not giving you proper credit in the latest blog post!!

    ReplyDelete