A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Films

Mr. Merritt is appearing on BBC 6, like, pretty much as I type this.  I'm not sure if the recording will be archived or not, but I will get back on it and let you know if I find anything out.  I'm listening to him play "Seduced and Abandoned" on his uke right now, and it's lovely.  I am befuddled as to why this wasn't part of the set list on the tour.

Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and The Magnetic Fields has been confirmed as part of a Floridian film festival.  The times for its screening at Full Frame Festival in Durham have been confirmed as well.

In other film-related news, all you San Franciscans need to go buy tickets to see Mr. Merritt's score to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea right here, right now.

After giving it a think (thanks in part to frequent commenter Mr. Nick David), I think the fanboy gushes that are mentioned in the introductory paragraph to this blog are going to become more prominent in the coming days.  It is my hope that this will generate some discussion amongst us diehard fans and keep the blog alive in the waning days of really active news/interviews/tour news/whatever.  It'd be much appreciated if you lot pitched in some ideas of what you'd like to see and all that jazz.  Much love to you all.

10 comments:

  1. GodDAMMIT he needs to tour with this. Or at least come to NYC. And do a Soundtracked DVD release, minimally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think to entertain yourself for a while, you should make an Stephin Merritt wiki. Like the one some TMBG fans did. All his songs and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A message board would be pretty cool, I think I know of some places where we could set up a free one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. P: I do agree, I'd love a tour, but it's highly unlikely. A DVD release, though, is to be expected. Or at least a CD, but we shall see.

    Mr(s). Anonymous, I agree that a SM Wiki would be a fantastic idea, and I'd love to contribute, I just lack the skills to properly start it up. I know one was attempted some years ago, but it, for whatever reason, fell through. It was called "You're So Technical" and the dead link to it can still be found on Stephinsongs' front page.

    Mr. Anderson: I'd love a message board, but it seems that these comments sections sometimes function as one anyhow. But, more organization couldn't hurt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you don't want to do a message board or a wiki, you can add authors to your blog so that multiple fan-boys-and-girls can gush all over the place.

    that sounded disgusting but you know what i mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only selfishness weren't a factor, Ms. Hamraie, that would be a definite good idea. ;)

    A Wiki does sound like a really grand idea, it's just a matter of doing it. When time is had over here in Williamson Hollow, I will look into doing that very thing. There's already that incredible 69 Love Songs Wiki (linked to the right), though, so there would be two tons of crossover information. Not that that's a problem, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't think he would ever go on 6music again, after the highly insulting, pathetic treatment he received from the idiotic George Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Lamb interview has always been a cause of much ire in contention in my neck of the woods. Riley was in The Fall, though, and Mr. Merritt has nothin' on Mark E. Smith in terms of cantankerousness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael, thanks for all your work in recent months. Have been checking in every couple of days for the latest news.
    I'd love to see a place that gathers together things like radio sessions and maybe live tracks, there is some great stuff out there but you have to be lucky to find it. Not sure if that is something you'd be comfortable with or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kind words, Ronan, and know that that is an idea that I will take into consideration. All the masses of interviews I've compiled in my many years would make for an interesting blog post, to be sure. I will see about this. Just know it'll take a helluva long time!!

    ReplyDelete