A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Screenings



The screening times for the SXSW premiere of Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and The Magnetic Fields have been announced!  The film will be showing at the Alamo Lamar at 2:40pm on March 18 and at 7:45pm on March 20.  I am going to try very hard to go, but my chances are looking bleak.  If you want to Paypal some $$$ to the_hymen_of_reality at yahoo dot com, though, that would certainly be very cool.  But, of course, I'm kidding.  But, only slightly.

Washington City Paper has posted this really fascinating article dissecting The Magnetic Fields' feminist influence; its focus is on Distortion, but it argues that the band is feminist as a whole.  It is very much a worthwhile read.

The show at BAM got rave reviews!  Stereogum posted this mini-review of the show from whence the above picture was shamelessly stolen.  The NY Press has nothing but nice things to say about the show.  But, by far the best review of the show, and of any show thus far in my opinion, is this one from NPR.  The author is clearly a diehard fan of Mr. Merritt's work and gets across exactly what I felt the first time I saw The Fields perhaps better than I could myself.  I dig it a lot.

The Magnetic Fields' tour and We Are Having a Hootenanny are both on a week-long hiatus.  Things will pick back up on February 21 in good ol' Portland, OR.

5 comments:

  1. I wish the Mag Fields would play in Scotland. Damn Merritt's blatant hatred of touring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the use of living in Austin if SXSW costs so damn much anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Andrew, going to see the film would cost me upward of $400 - complete horseshit!! I'm just going to wait and hope and pray that the Belcourt Theatre in Nashville gets a screening eventually. Or, at the very least, for a very quick DVD release.

    Mr. Nicholls, I'm very sorry for your loss, really. TMF tour dates are few and far between period, but particularly European dates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, you should do what I've been doing for years, volunteer for SXSW. You earn perks like film passes or wristbands and meet lots of people doing fairly easy work.

    Michael, it's likely this film will go straight to DVD with maybe a few theatrical screenings in big cities. I'll talk to the co-director about it during SXSW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. St. Murse, the very small part of my brain that has any logic at all knows that it won't be too terribly long before I get to see the film. But, it just kills me to know that there are going to be so many people seeing it while I'm stuck here in little ol' Kentucky w/o... But, I shall try to patient. Ms. Gail O'Hara did confirm that the film is in at least nine festivals, so I imagine it'll be touring for a little while.

    ReplyDelete