A blog devoted to the works of Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, et al. This blog will feature news related to his work, as well as occasional fanboy gushes from the author. Thank you for stopping by, and may all your dreams come true.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ewen

So, this is a bit of information more related to myself than Mr. Merritt, but I still thought I'd share.

A few months ago, I bought a cassette by the Future Bible Heroes on eBay called Vacationland. It was a flummoxing find, to say the least, as I thought I owned, or at least knew about, every item in the vast Merritt catalogue. Vacationland, as it turns out, is a pre-Memories of Love demo featuring several demo versions of Future Bible Heroes songs, plus three songs never released elsewhere. In the booklet that came with the casette, there is a phone number and a message asking you to call said number for more information on the band.
I had considered calling the number several times in the past, but have shyed away from it each time simply because I never assumed anyone would pick up (the cassette is over ten-years-old, after all). But, today, on a whim, I did call the number and was greeted by none other than Mr. Chris Ewen of Future Bible Heroes.
I will go ahead and say that I will not release his phone number or the details of our conversation. All I will say is that Mr. Ewen is a cordial, humble gentleman and speaking to him was a pleasure. He did say that the cassette I held in my hands was indeed a demo they sent out when they were trying to get signed and that probably less than 100 still existed (it was released on PopUp Records, the label Mr. Merritt started in order to release his first few pieces of music).
For those curious, I will give a hint as to the details of our conversation. Read this article and you may get some sort of idea.

4 comments:

  1. alexguy7894@gmail.comDecember 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM

    I actually remember seeing the auction for that tape. If you can could you rip it to your computer and upload a zip file of it on here? I'd love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to do the same thing, actually, but am so technologically inept I would have no idea how to begin doing so. I want very badly to send a copy to Mr. Ewen himself, actually, as he said he barely remembered what songs were and weren't on it.

    A friend of mine is majoring in sound design (or some such thing) and is much more intelligent in said field than I. I'll see if he can help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. alexguy7894@gmail.comDecember 6, 2009 at 10:27 AM

    Ion has this, and it looks handy if you have a lot of cassettes.
    http://www.ionaudio.com/tape2pc
    Or if you could look around town for a place that helps convert vinyl, cassettes, 8-tracks and etc to PC files. It sounds like there would be a place that does that.
    Making extra tapes sounds like the easiest method, but really only if you have a double cassette deck and if you can find blank cassettes.

    Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing that on ebay too, I bid like 50 or 60 bucks, but if I remember right it went for like 170 or so! which, sadly, was too much for me :[....that would be amazing if you could rip it here

    ReplyDelete